If you are a technology admirer, then you also know the importance of kitchen appliances that ease your cooking process. Kitchen appliances not only ease up your cooking experience but also add a perfection factor to it. Here we’ll specifically talk about meat slicers. If you have one in your kitchen, then you must be aware of their importance and worth. Slicing the meat into deli cuts with an ordinary knife is not a simple task. Also, to maintain the preciseness in each cut is a tough row to hoe.
Here food slicers come into the game. They not only reduce the time of slicing but also make your food more appealing and presentable. The precise cuts of food in a plate appeal to the eyes of everyone on the table.
The most important thing to increase the life of your appliance is its proper maintenance. What can you do to maintain your slicer properly? Firstly, you have to maintain its cleanliness by cleaning it before and after every use. Secondly, lubrication is another essential step of securing your slicer so, lubricate it regularly. Third and the most important thing is to sharpen the blade of the meat slicer.
Now here comes a question, “how to sharpen a meat slicer blade?” By the end of this article, you’ll get the answers to all your queries related to the sharpening procedure.
Tools Required for Sharpening of the Blade
Before directly moving towards the process, let’s talk about the pre-requisites first. Call them pre-requisites or simply the necessary tools for sharpening the blade of the meat slicer.
Cut Resistant Gloves
Always wear cut resistant gloves before dealing with any sharp object. These cut-resistant gloves are made up of particular chain-linked mesh. The material has quite a resemblance to the ones you can find in antique armors. These gloves prevent your hands from deep cuts while sharpening.
Eyes are the most sensitive organ of the human body. That’s why you have to protect them before doing any type of dangerous job like blade sharpening. While sharpening, it may produce little sparks or little metal particles. So, the protective goggles will cover your eyes and the surrounding area. They have thicker glass than that in ordinary glasses.
The essential tool for blade sharpening is the sharpening stone. Some meat slicers have built-in whetstones for the sharpening. If your appliance doesn’t have it, then you have to buy separate sharpening stones for this purpose.
Next, you’ll need any type of lubricating agent for the appliance. What the lubricant will do is to make the sharpening process run smoothly.
Soft Paper Towels/Wash Cloths
Once you are done with the sharpening procedure, you need to clean the blade thoroughly. For this purpose, we recommend using soft paper towels or washcloths. Never ever use hard scrubbers as they will scratch the outer coating off. These scratches will catch rust more speedily.
Last but not least, you must need to disinfect the blade after sharpening and cleaning. It is a food-related appliance, so you must take intensive care to prevent it from contaminants. Special sanitizers are available in the market for this purpose. Furthermore, you can also sanitize it with pure alcohol.
How to Sharpen a Meat Slicer Blade in Steps
- The first and foremost thing to do is to turn off the meat slicer and unplug all the switches carefully. Let the machine rest for a while to cool it down.
- Then detach the blade and carefully clean it. Always use a mild dishwasher for this purpose. If your appliance is not dishwasher friendly, then only use warm water. Dip the soft cloth in the dishwashing liquid and the warm water mixture and wipe it off carefully.
- After cleaning it with a damp cloth, next dry it with a separate dry paper towel carefully. Now let the blade air dry for a few minutes.
- Next, gently rub the lubricant or any oil all over the blade to avoid any rust. The lubricant will also ensure smooth sharpening.
- Fix the blade back at its position.
- Now read the instruction manual carefully if your meat slicer has built-in whetstones for sharpening. If you are sharpening it with a separate stone, then make sure to fix it near the blade.
- Now carefully plug in all the switches, but first, make sure that every component is appropriately dried. Let the blade whirl for a few minutes while the blade is in touch with the sharpening stones/whetstones.
- Now test the sharpness of the blade with any paper. If it’s still blunt, then repeat the process for a few minutes.
- After sharpening, again wipe off all the impurities with a soft damp cloth.
- Again, lubricate it after drying it off with another paper towel.
- Now, again spray the blade with the disinfectant or sanitizer and let it air dry for a few minutes.
- Finally, plug in all the switches and check if the appliance is properly working. Now keep the machine in a dry place away from the reach of children.
- Repeat the process whenever you feel that the blade of your meat slicer is again getting blunt.
How often to Sharpen Meat Slicer Blade?
We recommend sharpening the blade after every 1-2 weeks. If you want to make your meat slicer more long-lasting, it is preferable to clean and lubricate it regularly. Proper maintenance of your appliance will increase its lifespan.
Maintenance of any appliance is a necessary thing to do if you want it to work correctly for a long time. Regular cleaning and sharpening renew the slicer’s capability of slicing. The manufacturers also do the sharpening process, but it will cost extra money. However, if you read this article thoroughly and learn to do it at home, then it will save the additional expenditures. Also, not everyone can afford to buy a new meat slicer. So, maintaining the condition of the one you already have is essential.